top of page

Changeover Curtail

Reduced Change over time from 10 minutes to 37 seconds. The operator was working on an automated process. The company had set a goal of 5  minutes per change over. After a few time studies and working with the operator we were able to get the change over time down to 37 seconds.

Raw Material Loss

We noticed raw materials being thrown away several times per day. I had a brief conversation with the operator about how much product we were losing. 

1.The product could be placed back into the hopper

2.The operator showed initiative by talking to someone on the maintenance team about fixing the problem.

3.The problem was fixed completely. No more leaks on that point of the machine.

4.The outcome, $13,000 in raw material times two locations, times 4 machines. $104,000


Boost in Production

The customer's kitting process was operating at an average of 29 orders per person per shift. We conducted time studies, developed a training program, and implemented a small change to the order sheet. We set the goal at 57 orders per shift. There was some initial concern on the part of the operators however, they were able to reach 65 orders per shift in only 3 short weeks.

No More Lost Test Time

The customer was unable to provide service in a timely manner which cost them $25,000 each time the problem occurred. After conducting some research, working with the project team, and implementing a simple $100 solution - the problem was eliminated. This produced a $4.8Million dollar cost avoidance.


"Two" Many Shifts

Reduced two shifts down to one shift. We decided to combine shifts after conducting  a line balance, reviewing production data, and reviewing customer requirements.  The outcome was a reduction of hourly employees from 51 to 24 while meeting customer demand and quality standards. This saved $372k in addition to a cost avoidance of $500,000 in overtime

Scrap Reduction

Reduced scrap by 60% by setting up a single training that included working with the quality department to set a standard, use sample products as examples, and the use of visual aids.

Reduced Process Steps

We simplified an order prep process from 9 steps to 5, and implemented the new process. This took the process from 15 minutes per order down to 6 minutes per order


Training to Circumvent High Turnover 

Training in this particular department took at least 4 weeks. We developed a training program in order to speed up the training process due to high turnover in the department. The program included the process goal, daily goals and expectations,  a means to track progression, and supervisor feedback. The client wanted to supervise the trainee and the training process for two weeks; however the employee was fully trained and able to surpass the preset trainee goals in a matter of four days.

Decreased Start Up Time

The machine operators would come in to start their shift at 7am. They would start running product between 7:30am and 7:45am. We conducted time studies, addressed a few issues that were happening on third shift, and implemented new guidelines. The were able to take the operator start up time from 34 minutes to 7 minutes Increasing production time by 30 minutes per shift which meant producing 300 more products per shift


Lead Time Reduction

At the beginning of the production day, the orders were slow to get to the machines. We reduced lead time and went from having 40 late orders each morning orders down to 5 by investigating and coordinating activities between the office and the production floor


Increased Operator Efficiency

The employees in this particular area were literally walking through forklift traffic in order to get supplies. Their supplies were spread out in their area as well as on the production floor. We developed a new work station that housed much needed supplies as well as increased order producing efficiency.  Increased production time by 40 minutes per person by developing a work station to house supplies/equipment

Raw Material Loss

The customer had an open box that stored material. Employees would use a pail and a small shovel to retrieve the material. Unfortunately, a lot of the material ended up on the floor. Once the material went on the floor, it could no longer be used. By working with staff we redesigned and built a hopper.  The new hopper had a lever that opened and closed as needed, as well as a place to hang the pail. This saved $360,000 in raw material.

bottom of page